Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hi, my names Chris Connolly.
I'm Vietnamese and Irish and i was born in Anchorage, Alaska. If that's not enough to convince you that im not like your everyday asian, then be my guest and keep reading.

In high school, instead of getting a job like every other kid in my town, I decided to get an airbrush and paint some t-shirts in my spare time. Eventually, this turned into a legitimate operation once my friends started to buy them from me. But it didnt last very long after the airbrush started to malfunction from overuse. However, this led me to experiment with actual things rather than just articles of clothing.
For some reason, I never thought of myself as someone who had a gift for painting, though. Every time I finished working on something, I always told myself, 'Why the fuck did I do this in the first place? Like there's obviously thousands of other people in the world who are better at this than you are, so why the fuck are you wasting your time on this shit?' But eventually I found the answer. It was about not having someone over your shoulder constantly throwing a set of guidelines in your face as to what art was supposed to be. I didn't want to feel pressured into creating a masterpiece every day because then I would lose the essence of the very hobby I came to love. I wanted to maintain my own personal escape from reality rather than have it become an obligation or an occupation. I felt comforted by the fact, that in light of the question, 'What should I paint today?' the answer was always simple, 'Oh, right, whatever the hell I want.'

Being a realist, I knew that painting was not gona provide me with a healthy lifestyle, so I decided to pursue a career in music business at NYU in 2010 (I only did this cuz my mom forced me to play the violin every day of my life since I was 3. And i also thought i was good at math).
After my first year there, however, i was kicked out because they failed to tell me that i needed at least a 2.8 gpa for the major that i was in. And cuz they dont like asian kids who cant do calculus.


Now Im going to school in PA studying film with the hopes of returning to the city someday and attending film school. So far, I've completed one short film and a few other scripts that all seem to have a similar type of reaction from the friends who are willing enough to read through them. Im currently working on a project with my friend up in NY, trying to get our first full length film into the stages of actual production.
In the meantime, ill be working on countless more scripts and building my resume so that NYU has no other choice but to take me back. Ever since I was little, I've always heard that we're capable of doing anything in life, as long as we put our minds to it. So that's what I'm going to do. Hope that I break my leg in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Symphony for the Solo

The first short film I've ever made. Filmed entirely over the course of two weeks using just one camcorder and iMovie to edit. The music was also my own original composition, recorded on Garageband. ten minutes of an entire hour of playing